Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sick Puppy =(

my dog with the age of 2 months (more like a puppy) got sick... it came as a shock to me cause she was given to me not more than a week ago... 
her sickness made her vomit quite a lot, have diarrhea and anorexia....

*some suggestions for your pet*
For starters i was not a big fan of Gatorade... yes i drink it on very rare occasions but i am not into sports and i don't do much activity that makes me sweat so there's no reason for me to drink something that is well known as a sports drink.. and here i thought that i will not have any use of Gatorade.. i was SO wrong...
  • its very very important to make sure that your pet wont get dehydrated since it will probably make the sickness worse and make them prone to other sickness as well... i researched on the net and found out Gatorade was used by some vets to rehydrate pets i tried it and it worked wonders for my dog... add Gatorade to 3/4 of water.
    • if you couldn't buy Gatorade you can also try water with sugar... its best to use a syringe(w/out needle) since your pet wont have enough strength to eat, much less drink(or some thing that you can easily put liquid in your pets mouth in limited quantities so that you wont drown them) 
    • in case of medicines i only know of antibiotics to give to my pet here's a link to a list of antibiotics that you give to your pet and their description antibiotics commonly used to treat dogs
    • make sure you monitor your pet (in my case i used an alarm clock so i can check on my pet from time to time) and make sure she drinks water/Gatorade... 
    • when your pet wants to eat don't feed her her usual diet since i don't think she can eat it right away... try giving her a bland diet consisting of rice or potato with (boiled)fish or chicken(no bones and no skins)... you can also blend it if your pet couldn't eat solids yet..
    • watch out for your pet in 24-72 hrs if she still doesn't recover by then or if her sickness gets worst go to your vet right away... don't wait for another day since it might be too late then.
    • in case of fever make sure your pet stays warm, use blankets or cloths (i placed my dog in a box with cloths and blanket and also put a lamp near her to keep her warm...*incubation*)
    • if a vet is nearby... don't hesitate to bring your pet right away there 
    • oh and in the case of your pets obvious sign of sickness(vomit, feces and bedding) make sure you clean up after it... soap it (or whatever you use... i also put bleach in it) to make sure its clean... it might be contagious especially if you also have other pets(you wont want them to get infected too)
    • separate your sick pet from your other pets...
    i don't think my list is complete since there's a lot of stuffs out there that i don't know about...  so i encourage you to try and read some other blogs or articles that might help you in curing your pets..

    living in a place where vets are hard to come by made me try home remedies to help my pets recover from whatever sickness they have... so i began researching for things on the Internet that may actually help... some articles are not very helpful, some informative but lacking, and others are just plain ripoff from some others blogs... so it made me quite frustrated and led me to decide to create a blog... maybe, even through a small way i can help pet owners to prevent their pets from dying... what i wrote was just to help until you can get your pets proper help from experts... I'm far from being an expert so I'm not entirely sure that what worked for me will work a 100% for you too...

    i created this blog for the purpose of helping pet owners or to people who, like me couldn't get help from a vet right away... 



    my dog recovered within five days... she's now eating heartily and gaining weight... i had some doubts with what i did since i know its not the usual way but with a lot of patience and hard work my dog is now healthy... 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment